Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tips for Haggling in Kampala


My tips for haggling. Pay attention. Heed my warnings. Take my advice.

1. Send someone who is not a muzungu in to haggle. Once they see my face the price inevitably is tripled.

2. If you don't have anyone good to haggle for you then at least come in firm with your offer. Firm, I tell you. I try to keep my voice in my lower register when I make my offer. It's my serious business voice.

3. If they don't accept your firm offer act like the merchandise smells funny or is slightly slimy and then pretend to walk away. That technique is guaranteed to knock off 1/3 of the price.

4. If all else fails hold an unannouced staring contest with the vendor. Say nothing. When they ask, "What's wrong with you?"...keep staring...and then flare your nostrils really wide and wet your pants. They will then most likely give you the merchandise for free. It worked for me.

No comments: