Friday, January 19, 2007



We piled in to a dinky Japanese minivan and set off for Jinja. These van taxis are the other major form of transportation here in Uganda. You slide back the van door to a jungle of plastic covered leopard print. They are only supposed to seat 12 but they defy the laws of physics and shovel 17 people in there. I tend to introduce myself to the person next to me because as they pick people up along the road I end up in that strangers lap. And when I say masaw, which means "stop here" , everyone in the taxi laughs at my butchering of the Lugandan language.

We arrived in Jinja, a town an hour east of Kampala, and it is a garden of Eden. The grass is greener. The trees are larger. The Nile is...nileier? We made our way down to the source of the Nile! I really wanted to breath it all in and enjoy it's beauty but the malaria pill I had taken this morning was taking its toll on my stomach. I also was nervous because this Nile guide-man had my video camera and was not giving it back. I originally gave it to him because he offered to videotape us. I though it was a nice gesture at first, but now he had taken it around some rock corner and was hunched down whispering into it like Gollum.

Two of the people in our group bent down to the nile and scooped up the water and slurped it up. They looked at me to follow suit. I stepped down and leaned forward and smelled algae. I can't go for that. Nooo-OOO-oo. No can do. A hand dipping would have to suffice.

We went further down to Bulgali falls.There are crazy men there that will swim the falls with no life vests. I taped one guy swim down, all the while thinking that if he drowns my footage was guaranteed to be featured on YouTube.

Last stop in Jinja was Bethesda International. The second orphanage we are to be staying at. When the gate to Bethesda opened to us I was immediately tackled by little boy who squeezed me with a hug. In the corner of my eye I noticed a row of turkeys on the lawn, making a conga line underneath a tree branch. The orphanage was out of a story book, a huge mansion, Victorian almost. There are 55 kids that live there with two foster parents. They have a school that is nearby that is almost finished. The older kids are making the bricks to complete it. We made arrangements for our volunteer stay. Exciting. I wouldn't mind making some bricks. I need to work on my triceps anyway.

No comments: